Who doesn’t love tacos?? Be honest! I had forgotten how much I loved tacos until I went to Bartaco to celebrate the end of the school year with my fellow nutrition majors. This was my first time there and I have been looking forward to going back ever since I walked out of their doors.
I had never had real tacos before. Usually, my tacos consisted of a flour tortilla, ground turkey drowning in store-bought salsa and taco seasoning, and fresh veggies on top. If you’re thinking that those are the types of tacos that you eat too, then you are seriously missing out on the real stuff!
After my visit to Bartaco and experiencing perfect tacos, I was inspired to make my own version. Today I give you Shrimp Tacos with a Mango Slaw! If you are like me and you’ve never had flavorful tacos before, then try out this recipe and let me know what you think.
- 24 oz jumbo raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 lime, zested
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 mango, sliced
- 2 small red fresno peppers
- 1/4 cabbage, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- Starting with the marinade for the shrimp, combine the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, honey, cilantro, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk everything together and taste for seasoning. Add more salt, lime juice, or honey if necessary. Toss in the shrimp, cover with plastic wrap, and let it marinate in the fridge for 15-20 minutes while you work on the mango slaw.
- Add ice water in a small bowl, then toss in sliced red onions. Leave in for about 10 minutes. This will take away the sharp onion flavor from the raw onions and enhance their sweetness. If you like the sharp flavor, then feel free to skip this step.
- In a bowl, add the mango, peppers, cabbage, soaked and drained onions, and cilantro. Toss together.
- In a small bowl (I prefer a measuring cup), whisk together olive oil, lime juice, honey, red pepper flakes, and salt. Taste for seasoning, then pour onto the mango slaw and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Preheat your grill on medium heat. I used an indoor grill that you can put on the stove. If you don't have an indoor grill and you don't have or don't want to use an outdoor grill, then feel free to do this in a pan on the stove.
- Grill shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side until the shrimp is pink and opaque.
- Assemble your tacos! I put 3 shrimp per taco, topped with mango slaw, extra cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.